The most selfish 1 letter word – I – avoid it. The most satisfying 2 letter word – We – use it. The most poisonous 3 letter word – Ego – kill it. The most used 4 letter word – Love – value it. The most pleasing 5 letter word – Smile – keep it. […]
Kids and adults alike love the Popeye’s crispy fried chicken. After months of trying and searching online, I have finally come close to a recipe which somewhat mimics Popeye’s fried chicken that we have all come to love. Here we go:
For the marinade:
3lb Chicken Legs (Skin removed; keeping the skin gives a better coating but it’s not very healthy)
2 tablespoons of freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon of cayenne pepper (increase if you are feeling spicy)
1 tablespoon of paprika (this gives the colorful look to the chicken)
Salt to taste
For the Flour Mixture:
1.5 cup of all-purpose flour
1.5 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
For the Batter:
2.5 tablespoons of milk
For Deep Frying:
- In a bowl, mix the ingredients for the marinade with the chicken legs. Cover and marinade in the refrigerator for atleast 4 hours or overnight.
- Once marinading has been completed, in a seperate large bowl, combine the ingredients listed in the Flour Mixture section above to prepare the flour mixture which will be used to coat the chicken legs.
- Prepare the batter in a seperate bowl by breaking 3 eggs into the bowl and combining 3 tablespoons of milk. Beat until blended.
- Dip each chicken leg into the egg batter and then coat generously with the flour mixture. Shake of excess flour. Let’s proceed to double coating the chicken.
- Dip the coated chicken back into the egg batter and then coat generously with the flour mixture again. Shake off excess flour.
- Let’s move on to frying. In a frying pan, heat the oil on medium heat until the oil is hot. Place the chicken leg pieces into the oil one by one and leaving some space between each other.
- Turn and continue to cook the chicken legs until all sides are golden brown and the meat has been thoroughly cooked.
- Once cooked, remove the chicken legs from the oil and place on a paper towel to allow excess oil to drain.
That’s it! I hope you will enjoy this recipe. Let me know how it goes by sharing your comments.